full screen background image
How do I submit a Code Compliance complaint?

MyNevadaCounty.com - County of Nevada, California

Department Directory
Employee Login

This login feature is for Nevada County Employees. Future functionality will offer citizens the ability to log in to this site and manage preferences.

Sign In

Site Help

Use the Site Help Page for tips and suggestions about MyNevadaCounty.com.
How do I submit a Code Compliance complaint?
Published on: 3/22/2012 12:00 AM
How do I submit a complaint?

Obtain a complaint form by visiting the Eric Rood Administrative Center, calling the Code Compliance Division at (530) 470-2788 or by downloading the form by clicking here.  When submitting a complaint the reporting party must include their name, and phone number as anonymous or illegible complaints will not be processed. Reporting party information remains confidential except when disclosure is required by the Court.

I don’t want anyone to know who filed the complaint. Why do I have to sign the form?

Code Compliance’s policy, established by the Board of Supervisors, is that cases are generated through a formal complaint process, or through a referral from the Board of Supervisors or other agency. That said, reporting party confidentiality is of great importance to the Code Compliance Division. Our office staff creates the case files that the Officers carry on site, and these files contain copies of the complaint forms-with all identifying information removed-so even the Officers have no knowledge regarding the origin of the complaint. The original complaint form remains in our office, in locked storage. Only when requested by the Court will this be information be released.

Will I be contacted regarding the complaint I’ve filed?

No. Reporting parties names are kept confidential, even from the Officers who work the individual cases. This means they have no knowledge of who filed a complaint or how to reach them.

It appears nothing is being done on my complaint. Is any progress being made?
Most likely the County has started working with the property owner to resolve the violation. After receiving the case, a Code Officer will visit the property in question to confirm the existence of a violation. Once confirmed, the property owner is given a specific set of tasks-and a time frame for completing those tasks-that will bring the property into compliance with the County’s Codes. If the property owner chooses not to work with the County to cooperatively resolve the situation, we begin a more formal legal process that may take an extended time to fully resolve.
May I contact Code Compliance for the status on the complaint I’ve filed?
Absolutely. Please call our main number at (530) 470-2788 and our office staff will be glad to answer your questions and route you to the Officer assigned to a particular case. Please understand that as investigations are ongoing and may end up in Superior Court, Code Officers may not be able to share details of a case with you.
What happens if the property owner won’t correct the violation?
It is Code Compliance’s goal to achieve voluntary compliance whenever possible, and we will do all within our power to assist property owners in resolving the issues on their properties. If a property owner chooses not to work with the County to correct the violations on their property, the Code Officer may resort to a more formal legal process that can include issuing a criminal citation that will require the property owner to appear in Nevada County Superior Court to resolve the issue.
CLICK HERE for a printable copy of the Code Compliance Complaint Form
Gregory Shaffer
Code Compliance Program Manager
Code Compliance

950 Maidu Avenue Suite 170
Nevada City, Ca 95959
Hours: 8am-5pm M-F
Phone: 530.265.1222
Related Items:

No related pages or documents were found.