full screen background image
Frequently Asked Questions

MyNevadaCounty.com - County of Nevada, California

Department Directory
Employee Login

This login feature is for Nevada County Employees. Future functionality will offer citizens the ability to log in to this site and manage preferences.

Sign In

Site Help

Use the Site Help Page for tips and suggestions about MyNevadaCounty.com.
Frequently Asked Questions
Published on: 1/30/2012 12:00 AM
Can I get free legal advice from County Counsel?
No. The County Counsel provides legal advice to the Board of Supervisors, elected officials, and County of Nevada departments for matters related to the operation and management of the County. The County Counsel and attorneys of the office cannot provide legal advice to members of the public. If you are in need of legal advice, please see Legal Resources.


I have suffered personal injury or property damage which I believe was caused by the County or one of its employees. Can I make a claim?
Claims may be presented by submitting a claim form to the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors. Once a claim has been presented it is administered by Risk Management Services. Click HERE for the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors.


Who can "Accept Service?"
All claims, summons and complaints against the County must be “served” (delivered) to the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors, the agent authorized to accept service on behalf of the County, during normal business hours. This office does not accept service.  Subpoenas should be served on individuals, or if a custodian of records, to the department in question.

Can I talk to Alison A. Barratt-Green? I think she is the person who is working on my case.
Ms. Barratt-Green is the County Counsel and her name appears on all the documents filed by any attorney in the office. The person most familiar with your case is usually the attorney who actually signed the document. That person’s name appears beneath Ms. Barratt-Green’s name at the top of the document and again beneath the signature itself. If you believe you must speak to an attorney in our office concerning your matter, it is that person to whom you should speak. However, if you are represented by an attorney, all contact should be through your counsel.


I want to look at some County records. Can I get them from County Counsel?
The County Counsel is not the official custodian of records for the County of Nevada. You should inquire directly at the office or location where you believe the records are maintained.


Can the County Counsel’s Office help me obtain a domestic violence restraining order?
No. The County Counsel’s Office only represents County agencies and the Board of Supervisors and does not provide legal services to members of the public. Legal agencies that may be able to assist you may be found in our Legal Resources.


I have a court case, but have not been notified of the hearing by mail. Can you tell me when my hearing is scheduled?
No. Questions regarding court appearances for civil or criminal matters should be directed to the Nevada County Superior Court. Traffic violation information can be found with the Traffic Court, which is a division of the Superior Court.


I have received a notice to report for jury duty, but cannot attend. Can I reschedule my jury duty obligation through the County Counsel’s Office?
No. Jury Duty matters are handled only by the Court. All inquiries should be made directly to the Jury Division of the Nevada County Superior Court.


I would like assistance in collecting child support. Can County Counsel help?
No. However, the Sierra Nevada Regional Department of Child Support Services may be able to assist you in collecting and payment of support obligations. Their telephone number is:  (866) 901-3212


I have a question about a Family Law matter, can you answer it? 
No, however, the Family Law Facilitator at the Nevada County Superior Court may be able to help you.


I am the victim of a crime, who should I notify?
If you need an immediate response and are outside the city limits, contact the Nevada County Sheriff’s Office.  You may also contact the Nevada City Police Department, Grass Valley Police Department, or the Truckee Police Department.  Additionally, you can check Legal Resources for the District Attorney.


Where can I get legal forms?
The Judicial Council  has forms available to the public at no charge.  The Nevada County Superior Court also has forms available for a minimal fee.


Does your office handle conservatorships or probate matters?
The Office of the County Counsel represents the Public Guardian in conservatorship and probate matters.  The Office of the Public Guardian should be contacted directly with questions regarding conservatorship and probate matters.


What department can help me with questions about building and zoning permits, code violations, and other similar matters?
The Community Development Agency can assit you with issues pertaining to building and planning, zoning requirements, code compliance, environmental and agricultural matters, and any other land use questions or situations you may have.


Where can I find the most current marijuana cultivation ordinance information?
Nevada County's marijuana cultivation ordiance can be located in the Nevada County Codes under General Code, General Regulations, Article 5.  Additional information is also available on the Community Development Agency's website as well.

Alison Barratt-Green
County Counsel
County Counsel

950 Maidu Avenue Suite 240
Nevada City, Ca 95959
Hours: 8am-5pm M-F
Phone: 530.265.1319
Related Items:

No related pages or documents were found.