full screen background image
Reduce What You Owe

MyNevadaCounty.com - County of Nevada, California

Department Directory
Employee Login

This login feature is for Nevada County Employees. Future functionality will offer citizens the ability to log in to this site and manage preferences.

Sign In

Site Help

Use the Site Help Page for tips and suggestions about MyNevadaCounty.com.
Reduce What You Owe
Published on: 3/1/2012 12:00 AM

Do you owe child support and need a break?

If you owe past due child support (arrears), there are options available to you to reduce that balance:

  • Increase your payments towards arrears.  In California, the principal balance is paid first so, not only will your principal balance be lowered, you will be paying less in interest each month.
  • Talk to your caseworker about the Compromise of Arrears Program (COAP) in which the state will forgive part of the arrears owed to the state.  Child support becomes due to the state when your children received public assistance.  If you would like to know more, check out the California Child Support Webpage, call your caseworker at (866) 901-3212 or complete the application and mail it in.
  • Talk to your caseworker about a lump sum offer to the other parent to reduce your arrears balance.  Your caseworker can work with both parties to see if a compromise can be reached.

There is an on-line arrears calculator available to you.  It is a simple tool you can use to estimate the total cost and time it will take you to pay off your past due balance, based on the arrears payment you are making.

Tex Ritter
Director of Child Support Services
Child Support Services

950 Maidu Avenue Suite 140
Nevada City, Ca 95959
Hours: 7:30am-5pm M-F
Phone: 866.901.3212
Related Items:

No related pages or documents were found.