NOTICE! THE VITALS RECORDS OFFICE IS ONLY OPEN FOR THE FOLLOWING LIMITED HOURS:
TUESDAYS, 8:30AM to 12PM
THURSDAYS 8:30AM to 12PM
These limited hours will remain in place through March 3, 2017. After March 3, we will return to our regular hours. We sincerely apologize for any inconvience these limited hours may cause.
The Nevada County Vital Records Office is the Local Registrar for Nevada County. The Local Registrar is responsible for the registration of all birth, fetal deaths and death events, which occur in Nevada County. The Local Registrar performs the following functions:
- Reviews certificates for each birth, fetal death and deaths occurring in the county for accuracy and completeness prior to registration.
- Monitors hospitals to ensure timely registration of birth certificates.
- Prepares copies of the original certificates for the County Recorder before transmitting the original certificates to the CAOVR (California State Office of Vital Records).
- Issues certified copies of birth and death records.
- Provides assistance to persons who wish to amend birth or death records.
- Maintains a cooperative working relationship with the County Recorder, funeral directors, coroners, and key hospital staff to ensure prompt exchange of information and assistance when necessary.
Registers home births.
Birth and Death records are housed in this office for the current year and one year prior. For older records, visit the Nevada County Recorder's Office.
Nevada County Vital Records Office
500 Crown Point Circle, Suite 110, Grass Valley, CA 95945
Telephone: (530) 265-7264 Fax: (530) 271-0829
Get Map and Directions
We accept cash, check, and credit cards (VISA/MasterCard/Discover) for payment.
There is an additional $1.95 processing fee for using a credit card.
Health & Human Services Agency
Nevada County Public Health Department
500 Crown Point Circle, Suite 110
Grass Valley CA 95945