Food Safety

Food Handling Guidance Documents

It is essential to use safe steps in food handling, cooking, and storing to prevent foodborne illness. See the links below for helpful information to aid in prevention.

Managers Food Safety Certification Class

California State Law requires that each food facility must have at least one owner/employee that has passed a state-approved food safety certification exam. The certificate must be renewed every 5 years.

  • provides training, practice tests, and Certification Exam that can all be done online.
  • Nevada County provides Food Manager Certification Training and Exams throughout the year. The class consists of a 6-hour review and a 2-hour exam for a total of 8 hours. Please see the form below for further instructions on how to register for the class. Please call (530)265-1348 with any questions.

Nevada County Environmental Health Department provides Food Manager Certification and Training throughout the year. See the registration form for dates, times, and locations.  

Alternative Food Manager Certification Testing Option:

If you are unable to use the online testing system to receive your Food Manager Certification (explained above), then please follow the steps below to sign up for the EXAM ONLY.

Due to the COVID-19 virus, NCDEH will be offering to proctor the Food Safety Managers exam on the originally scheduled class dates. 

  • Check-in for the exam will be at 8:30 AM and the exam will start at 9 AM. You are allowed 2hours to complete the exam. Wearing a facial mask and maintaining social distancing will be followed per CDPH and County Health Officer requirements.
  • Please fill out the registration form found in the link below and submit it to NCDEH 30 days before the scheduled class date.
  • The fee for the book and exam is $54. 

NOTE: It is recommended to study the food safety book that will be provided and answer the quiz questions at the end of each chapter.  Please be aware that this situation with COVID -19 is ever-changing and that it may become necessary to cancel or reschedule the exam. Please contact NCDEH with any questions.

Food Handlers Card Information

Most food facility employees are required to have a Food Handler Card issued by an accredited program.