Resources from the Local Assistance Center

Nevada County Environmental Health

Environmental Health is coordinating assistance with the clean-up of lost or damaged properties. In order to provide this assistance, a Right of Entry Permit must be completed and signed by the property owner.

The California Department of Toxic Substance Control (DTSD) is helping to assess and remove any hazardous waste on properties as a result of the Lobo and McCourtney fires. The California Southern Baptist Convention is helping to remove the remaining debris and ash off of the affected properties. They can also help property owners located important family items such as rings during the debris and ash clean-up.

Nevada County Building Department

The Building Department has removed all County fees for lost who lost or had damage to their homes during the Lobo and McCourtney fires. They are assisting fire victims through the rebuilding process, and have created permitting information on manufactured, new residence, grading, and accessory structure permitting.

Nevada County Assessor's Office

The Assessor's Office if offering Property Tax Relief to those who lost or has damage to their property due to the fires. Fill out a Calamity Reassessment Claim Form and return to our Assessor's Office by December 11th, 2017. Property owners can also choose to delay the payment of the December 11th, 2017 first installment of their 2017/18 property tax bill.

Nevada County Department of Social Services: Eligibility

All Penn Valley and Rough and Ready CalFresh households have automatically received replacement CalFresh benefits on their EBT cards for the month of October. Due to the recent fires and to assist those not able to store/prepare food, hot and prepared foods can be purchased with CalFresh EBT cards now through November 15th, 2017. 

If you lost food because of power outages during the October  Wildfires, please work with the Nevada County Department of Social Services before November 8th, 2017 to receive replacement CalFresh benefits.

Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)

Nevada County was approved for FEMA's Individual Assistance due to our local wildfires. Fire victims can register online, or by calling (800) 621-3362. The program works on a case-by-case basis to provide fire victims assistance, such as temporary housing or financial assistance with home repairs or replacement after being displaced by a disaster, by linking them with other resources. For more information about Individual Assistance process, view FEMA's Sequence of Delivery flow chart.

California Department of Social Services

The California Department of Social Services (CDSS)is helping fire victims sign-up for the State Supplemental Grant Program (SSGP). This program can help supplement up to $10,000 if a uninsured or under-insured fire victim maxes out their resources and support from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and their Individuals and Households Program (IHP). There is no separate application for SSGP, FEMA will automatically transmit your application to SSGP if you have reached the maximum IHP assistance. For more information, view the DCSS flyer on their State Supplemental Grant Program (SSGP).

California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)

The California DMV is waiving fees or penalties for replacement state identification or registration for fire victims, including duplicate driver licenses, identification cards, vehicle registration and title, and disabled person parking placards. In addition, fire victims can acquire substitute license plates and stickers, vehicle disposal paperwork, and driver record printouts, as well as process a change of address. To register for free replacements, fire victims will need to fill out the DMV's Statement of Facts form for vehicle registrations or a Transmittal Form for identification replacements and work with our local DMV office.

For replacement birth certificates, death certificates, or marriage licenses issues in Nevada County, please contact our Clerk-Recorder.

Small Business Association

The Small Business Association can provide low-interest, long-term disaster loans to businesses of all sizes, private non-profit organizations, homeowners, and renters to repair or replace uninsured or under-insured disaster damaged property. For more information, view the SBA's The Three Step Process: Disaster Loans guide.

Contractors State License Board

The Contractors State License Board (CSLB) protects California consumers by licensing and regulating the state's construction industry. Following a disaster, CSLB warns consumers about the dangers of hiring unlicensed contractors and the possibility of unlicensed contractors taking advantage of those trying to rebuild quickly.

CSLB provides a database where you can check a contractors license status and history. You can report a fraudulent contractor by calling CSLB at (916) 255-2925.

California Department of Insurance

The California Department of Insurance helps homeowners and renters understand their right and their claims handling after a disaster hits. For the October California Wildfires, they have a notice for Voluntary Claims Handling Reforms for Recent Wildfires that provides helpful information on insurance claims after a disaster. They also have general information guides on their website, including their Home Inventory Guide, Residential Insurance: Homeowners and Renters guide, Residential Property Claims Guide, and Don't Get Burned After a Disaster.

California Franchise Tax Board

After a disaster, the California Franchise Tax Board can help fire victims to claim a state tax deduction and to waive fees for both personal and business Tax Returns. Find more information on their Disaster Loss web page or in the Disaster Loss: How to Claim a State Tax Deduction guide.


For veterans who had documents destroyed in the October Wildfires, CalVet is helping to replace any lost documents including discharge papers (DD214), and to assist veterans seeking assistance and helping to access benefits. Find more information on their California Wildfire Information for Veterans web page.

If you have a CalVet Home Loan and were evacuated or experienced property loss, please contact York Field Services 24-hour hotline at (800) 626-1613 to begin the claim process.  The CalVet homeowner insurance also provides for temporary living expenses for evacuations. 

California Employment Development Department

The California Employment Development Department (EDD) can help fire victims with claim filing assistance for unemployment, as well as help connect residents to job search resources. Find more information on theirDisaster Unemployment Assistanceweb page.