Public Works Permits
- PLEASE NOTE: Due to COVID-19 and Shelter-in -Place orders, Public access to the Nevada County Government Center is by appointment only. Click on the "Book and Appointment" link below.
- Public Works staff are working remotely and available between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm. Please contact our staff and provide a detailed message of your need, an associated address, APN# or location,and a contact number. Staff are currently checking phone messages and email messages twice each hour and will return calls as quickly as possible. Providing information within your message allow staff to research prior to returning your call for a more prompt and informative reply.
Applying for a Public Works Permit
To apply for a Public Works permit or ask questions related to the permit process, you may obtain service via the following resources:
- Online: Our Citizen Access page allows you to search property/permit information such as current projects and application status, and submit permit applications. This system currently allows for Public Works Encroachment Permit applications to be processed.
- By mail/email: Send all applications and other applicable documents to: Public.Works@co.nevada.ca.us or by mail with your fees included to: Public Works at 950 Maidu Avenue, Nevada City, CA 95959.
- In-Person: The Public Works Department is located at the Nevada County Government Center at 950 Maidu Ave in Nevada City. Currently, due to COVID-19, the CDA Lobby is open by appointment only.
- Phone/Fax: Phone messages are checked twice each hour between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm Monday - through Friday at (530) 265-1411/ Fax (530) 265-9849
- Book an Appointment: Click here for our Online Appointment system.
- Choose the appropriate permit from the column to the left.
- Payments: Public Works Fees may be paid by check, cash (do not mail) and online for Encroachment Permits, Sewer Permits and Surveyor Fees only. Encroachment Permit Applications are available for online credit card processing at the time of submission through the Citizens Access Page and other permit/surveyor fees may be paid by credit card by accessing our online Payment Processing. Credit card payments cannot be taken over the phone or by mail at this time.
- Submittal Checklists: The submittal checklist is intended to assist you in preparing and submitting a complete application. You must complete & submit all items for your application to be accepted. All items listed must be reviewed and fees paid before a permit will be issued.
- Commencement of Work: Any work or event on a County maintained roads cannot begin until the applicable permit has been issued. The checklist should be submitted as a cover page with your application.
- Approval Process: Permit approval process varies and may be affected by a number of elements such as an incomplete application package, non-compliance to build standards or regulations, holidays, weather and other unforeseen events. The following are the standard expected turn-around times for permits
- Encroachment - 7 to 10 business days
- Transportation - 1-3 business days for single, 7-10 business days for annual
- Sewer - 7 to 10 business days.