Confidential Marriage License Requirements
Effective June 24, 2020, Due to increasing health concerns around COVID-19 in Nevada County and a recent update from the County Executive Office, the Office of the Clerk-Recorder will REMAIN CLOSED to in-person services
- We will remain available for Marriage License and Ceremony by appointment only
- All other services can be conducted by US mail
- If you have any questions, please call or email
We thank you for your understanding and we apologize for any confusion
A Confidential Marriage License must be purchased prior to your ceremony
Cost to obtain your Marriage License $74
Hours for Marriage License and / or Ceremony are 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
It takes about 30 minutes for the license to be issued
- Both unmarried applicants must be present
- Both must have Valid Government photo identification, such as a driver's license or passport
- Blood tests are no longer required as of January 1, 1995
- Parties must be living together (Per Family Code Section 500)
- Applicants must be 18 years and older
- Applicants under the age of 18: If either party is under 18, you must contact the Juvenile Probation Department at 530-265-1300.
Information Required on Marriage License Application
- Complete legal name of each party obtaining the marriage license
- If previously married, need month, day and year of dissolution/death/annulment (to the best of your knowledge)
- Need parents' full names (Mother's maiden name)
- Need parents' state / country of birth
Apply Online Come Prepared
Print Name Equality Act of 2007 Form (PDF) sign and date.
This must be submittedat the time of applying for the Marriage License in the Nevada County Clerk-Recorder's Office. View a Map of Directions (PDF)
Step 2After reading and completing
STEP 1, complete Online Application before coming into our office to get your marriage license. Your completed application is stored up to 60 days in the Clerk-Recorder's Office.
Send email email@example.com requesting an appointment. Please include your names, confirmation number and indicate if license only or license and ceremony. An Appointment will be set up for you and we will respond with further instructions.
After the license is issued, it can be used immediately. You must be married by an authorized person.
You must be married within 90 days of the date the license was issued and you must be married anywhere in the State of California.