November 16, 2020: Nevada, Yuba, Placer and Sierra Counties Burn Suspension Lifted
Residents wishing to burn must verify it is a permissive burn day prior to burning by contacting Northern Sierra Air Quality Management District: (530) 274-7928 MyAirDistrict.com.
For residential burn piles, a burn permit issued by a fire department is required for certain times of the year. You may obtain these free permits from most fire departments in Nevada County and now online at BurnPermit.Fire.ca.gov.
Residents are urged to take precautions while burning outdoors to prevent starting a wildfire. Escaped debris burns are a leading cause of wildfires during winter and spring.
Burn Pile Requirements:
- Only dry, vegetative material such as leaves, pine needles and tree trimmings may be burned.
- The burning of trash, painted wood or other debris is not allowed.
- Do NOT burn on windy days.
- Clear a 10-foot diameter down to bare soil around your piles.
- Have a shovel and a water source nearby.
- An adult is required to be in attendance of the fire always.