Shelter in Place Order
The California State Public Health Officer and Director of the California Department of Public Health is ordering all individuals living in the State of California to stay home or at their place of residence, except as needed to maintain continuity of operation of the federal critical infrastructure sectors, critical government services, schools, childcare, and construction, including housing construction. For more information visit: https://covid19.ca.gov/stay-home-except-for-essential-needs/.
Shelter in Place Order Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - Prepared by Nevada County
Updated April, 3, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.
IMPORTANT NOTE: It is important to remember the PURPOSE of the California’s Executive Order N-33-20, which requires all Californians to “shelter-in-place” by remaining at home or at their place of residence, except as necessary to obtain food, care for a relative or friend, get necessary healthcare, or go to an essential job, when seeking guidance on activities that are allowed or prohibited.
The purpose of the order is simply to limit and help prevent the transmission of the novel coronavirus (also referred to as COVID-19). The spirit of the order prohibits all unnecessary activities that are not considered an essential critical infrastructure or essential service that is necessary as a minimum activity to ensure the continuity of functions critical to public health, safety, and security. This Frequently Asked Questions Guide has been developed to help provide guidance on what is considered essential. Please consider this as you work to determine if an activity is necessary to ensure compliance with Executive order N-33-20 and to help prevent harm to yourself or others.
This FAQ is a working document and will be updated and re-posted as new information from the state or local authorities becomes available. Find State information from COVID19.ca.gov.
- Shelter in Place Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) prepared by the County of Nevada (Download PDF)
- Direct Link to the State Public Health Officer’s Essential Critical Infrastructure Workers Guidance PDF Download (March 22, 2020)
- Shelter in Place Executive Order - N-33-20 PDF Download
- Nevada County Public Health Officer Order: Clarification of Governor’s and State Health Officer’s "Stay-at-Home" Order as Related to Lodging Facilities (short-term rental restrictions) PDF Download
- What does the Governor’s Order mean?
- What does this mean for Nevada County?
- How long will we stay home?
- What can I do? What’s open?
- What’s closed?
- What can’t I do?
- Is this mandatory or is it just guidance?
- What if I need to get healthcare from my medical provider?
- Can I leave home to visit friends or family members if there is no urgent need?
- Can I still get deliveries from online stores? Can I order from online stores?
- Can I use ride share, on-demand-service, or a taxi?
- Can I take public transport (Gold Country Stage, Lift, TART)?
- I am homeless. How can I comply with the order?
- Can I get my prescriptions or other healthcare needs? Can I leave home to go to the pharmacy to get my prescriptions filled?
- How will I get food and medicines I need if I must stay at home?
- Are non-profit organizations allowed to continue operating?
- I work for the government – can I continue to go to work?
- I become anxious when cooped up in my house. Am I allowed to go to a park or on a hike?
- Can I play team sports or go to the gym?
- Should I stock up on food, necessities like toilet paper, an on medicines?
- Can I leave home to care for my elderly parents or friends who require assistance to care for themselves? Or a friend or family member who had disabilities?
- Can I visit loved ones in the hospital, nursing home, skilled nursing facility, or other residential care facility?
- What should I do if I am sick and need to g o to the hospital or a medical provider? How can I protect others?
- What if I cannot get out of the home? How can I get supplies and food?
- What about childcare and preschool?
- Who should I contact if I have questions?
- Can I go buy pet food or take my pet to the Vet?
- I receive mental health treatment; can I still go to their office?
- Can I go for a walk in my neighborhood?
- Do I have to perform social distancing at home with my family?
- What happens if I don’t comply with this order?
- I am a fisherman; can I still go fish?
- Can I still go to church, synagogue or other religious services?
- What about if I need medical care?
- Can I pick up my prescriptions?
- I had tickets to an event, will I get my money back?
- How do I prove that I can be outside?
- Do I have to report to Jury Duty?
- I have a citizenship test; can I still go take my test?
- If I am a taxi driver, can I still go to work?
- My child is away at college, can I go pick them up and return home?
- My wedding is scheduled next week at my church, can it still go on?
- I don’t have a washer/dryer in my home. Can I leave to do laundry?
- What if my plumbing gets stopped up? How will I access those sorts of services?
- Is there relief for small business?
- Are real estate transactions and services allowed to continue?
- Are child custody drop-offs/exchanges perishable including across County boundaries?
- Are cleaning services considered essential services and allowed to continue?
- Is construction considered an essential service and do workforce members need to comply with social distancing?
- Can I still travel to care for animals like horses, goats, and other farm animals?
- Is acupuncture, herbalist or other non-western healthcare considered medical service?
- I live in a RV Park, can shelter in place here?
- Are trail maintenance and land management activities allowed to continue?
- Are gun shops open?
- Are environmental activities allowed to continue?