Roadside Vegetation Control - "No Spray" Agreement

Roadside Vegetation Management "No-Spray" Agreements

County Road Maintenance Division oversees vegetation management within designated right-of-way's on county maintained roads. Throughout any given season, crews will trim and remove trees, brush and weeds for fire safety and preparedness.  Vegetation management includes spraying of weed-killing pesticides within the right-of ways.

An  Owner/Applicant may request that the County not spray within the right-of-way adjacent to their parcel/property by completing and submitting a Roadside Vegetation Control Agreement, also known as a No-Spray Agreement. The Owner/Applicant agrees to control the weeds along all the roadsides adjacent to the legal land descriptions listed on the application.  The County will post a “No Spray” sign at either end of property within 4 weeks of approval of agreement. There is no cost to Owner/Applicant.

In consideration of the foregoing, the Road Maintenance Division will make all reasonable attempts not to use spray methods fronting the lands described within the agreement.  If there is a lack of weed control, the Road Maintenance Division reserves the right to perform control measures on the weds after consultation with the Owner/Applicant. 
The agreement does not cover brush and/or tree control within the designated right-of-ways, which remains the responsibility of the Road Maintenance Division. The trees and brush will be removed by mechanical means by the municipality when scheduled and the applicant will be responsible to maintain any re-growth by mowing.  "Restricted" weeds are exempt from the Agreement and have to be eradicated upon identification.  For further definitions of "Restricted" weeds please refer to: i

Agreements are good for two years from the date signed. It is the Owner/Applicants responsibility to resubmit an application.  DPW does not notify Owner/Applicants of impending expiration of agreements. 

The Owner/Applicant shall indemnify and hold harmless the Department of Public Works, its employees and agents of all claims, demands, actions and requests whatsoever that may arise directly or indirectly from the carrying out of this agreement.

Roadside Vegetation Control Agreement (aka No-Spray Agreement)

Completed and signed agreements can be returned to: 
Department of Public Works
950 Maidu Avenue
Nevada CIty, CA 95959
or email the form to

Once received, expect 4-6 weeks for signage to be posted. To ensure agreement is received and processed prior to the spraying season, please submit agreements by March 31st.