Frequently Asked Questions

Road Maintenance and Engineering
  • Who takes care of Traffic or Street light Outage:  Dependent upon the location depends upon which local agency is responsible for the Traffic or Street light outage. Click here for a list of Nevada County lights and what agency to contact for all other outages. 
  • My private roads needs grading: The County maintains 500+ miles of Public Roads, CSA and PRD roads.  The County does not maintain Private Roads. Check with your neighbors, HOA or Neighborhood Association for information on how your private road is maintained.  
  • Dead animals: The County currently contracts with a private entity for carcass removal 
  • Abandoned Vehicles:  Abandoned Vehicles are handled by the Code Enforcement department available at 530-470-2750 or by opening a work order on the "Ask Nevada County" service request work order application. 
  • How do I get speed monitoring on our road:
  • I am sponsoring a marathon; do I need to submit for any permits? Yes, you will need to apply for an Encroachment Permit for your event. 
  • Vegetation is overgrown and becoming a fire hazard. How do I get the County to take care of it? You can request service one of three ways.  
Open a work ordering using the "Ask Nevada County" service request work order application
Call Public Works at (530) 265-1411 to open an work order
Submit an email through the Public Works email address

A Public Works Staff Member will determine if the vegetation is on public or private property, will inspect the location and  get the work scheduled.  

  • We just bought a home and need to switch the Sewer billing into our name: Sewer charges are billed through Annual Tax bills.  Ownership changes are handled by the County Recorders office. 
  • What is a home owner responsible for maintaining on their sewer system? 
  • How do I find out if I can connect to the sewer system?
  • Where can I find out what my annual sewer charges 

Solid Waste and Trash Services
  • There is a continual Illegal trash dump happening in a the same place. How do we get it stopped
  • Does the County supply Bear proof garbage cans
  • How does Residential Recycling work in Nevada County
  • Where can I find information on the County Dump?