Winter Storm Recovery

PG&E Programs

The PG&E REACH program assists families with low income to pay their energy bills in times of crisis. Learn more about the Relief for Energy Assistance Through Community Help (REACH) program.

Find more information on PG&E programs to manage your energy bills.

Green Waste Disposal

The Office of Emergency Services is working with local partners as well as CalOES to identify funding and develop a plan to assist residents with their green waste disposal. The current options for green waste are:Green Waste Flyer Opens in new window

  • Safely burn residential debris
  • Chip material
  • Order residential curbside pickup
  • Rent a large green waste dumpster
  • Compost leaves and pine needles

We are aware of the staggering amount of green waste that is currently lining the 560+ miles of county-maintained roadways and private property. County Roads Crews are actively clearing all county-maintained roadways and are bringing in contractors to expedite the process.  

Storm Damage Repair 

Building Permits

Residents requiring storm damage repairs will receive priority permitting and have local fees waived for repair permits through the Nevada County Community Development Agency for serious repairs needed following the December 27, 2021 winter storm.

The County’s December 27, 2021 emergency proclamation made fee waivers available for properties that require major permitted repairs due to storm damage, including: 

  • Electrical service damage
  • Roof structural repair
  • Septic repair
  • Well repair
  • Decking reconstruction
  • Foundation repair

The fee waivers will cover permit fees for storm-related repairs through December 30, 2023.

Please contact Nevada County's Building Department at or 530-265-1222, Option 1 to get started.

Find a Licensed Contractor

The Nevada County Contractor’s Association (NCCA) can help residents find licensed contractors to assist with repairs and permitting. Contact NCCA by phone at 530-274-1919 or by email at

NCCA also recommends visiting and checking contractor’s licenses through the California State License Board to verify a contractor's license and insurance status.

CalFresh Reimbursement

Individuals who receive CalFresh benefits and are in need of replacement benefits due to lost food during the recent power outages should submit an individual replacement request with Nevada County Social Services by calling 530-265-7090 or by submitting an individual replacement request online. Social Services can work with individuals to apply for full replacement benefits.

In addition to Nevada County Social Services working with individuals to submit replacement requests, the State of California will issue automatic CalFresh food benefit replacements for residents who lost food due to power outages to households with physical addresses in the zip codes 95986, 95945, 95959, and 95949. Benefit replacements will be issued as credit to Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) cards on January 27, 2022. The replacement amount will be 25% of regular December benefits issued December 1st through 10th and Emergency Allotments issued on December 4th.

For information or assistance, please contact the Department of Social Services by email or by phone at 530-265-7090.