Vote By Mail Information
All registered voters in Nevada County receive a vote-by-mail ballot each election, they can however still vote in person at any open Vote Center throughout the County.
Vote By Mail ApplicationIf you would like to become a vote by mail voter for every election you can register to vote online and select "Yes" in the "Vote by Mail in All Elections" section.
If you would like a one time Vote by Mail mailing address change you can print this form (PDF), fill it out, sign it and mail it to Nevada County Elections.
How To Return Your Ballot
You will receive your official ballot in the mail about two to four weeks before the election. There will be an official envelope enclosed that you need to sign in order for your ballot to be counted. There are a few options for returning your ballot:
- Mail your ballot to our office. The ballot must be postmarked on or before Election Day and received within 3 days of the Election to be considered timely. Please note that we recommend mailing your ballot no later than the Friday before Election Day to ensure that your ballot is counted.
- Drop your ballot off at our secure drop-off box located in front of the Nevada County Government Building (Eric Rood Administrative Center).
- Drop your ballot off at Truckee Town Hall.
- Drop your ballot off at any official ballot drop box in the County.
- Drop your ballot off at open Vote Center throughout Election Day.
Missing Signature On Ballot EnvelopeIn order for a vote by mail ballot to be counted, the ballot envelope must be signed by the voter or our office must receive an Unsigned Ballot Statement submitted by the voter. If our office receives an unsigned ballot envelope we will contact the voter via phone or mail as soon as possible. The voter's ballot can be counted if the voter does any of the following:
- Signs the ballot envelope at our office during regular business hours before 5 p.m. on the eighth day after the election.
- Completes an Unsigned Ballot Statement and submits it to our office before 5 p.m. on the eighth day after the election.
- Completes an Unsigned Ballot Statement and submits it to any polling place or official ballot drop-off box before 8 p.m. on Election Day.
Damaged Or Lost BallotsIf you lose, damage or make a mistake on your ballot, please contact our office by phone at 530-265-1298, so that we can issue you a replacement ballot.
If it is too close to Election Day to issue you a new Vote by Mail ballot, you can do one of the following:
- Go to the Elections Office to get a new ballot or vote in person, either electronically or with a paper ballot.
- Go to Truckee Town Hall to vote electronically.
- Go to your polling place on Election Day and vote. Note: If you cannot surrender your Vote by Mail ballot you will need to vote provisionally.