Placing a Measure on the Ballot

What is a Measure

A measure is any constitutional amendment or other proposition submitted to a popular vote at any election.

What to Submit

  • Districts and Cities: Submit a “Resolution Requesting Consolidation of Election and Ordering of Such Election” and “Notice to County Clerk of Measure Submitted to the Voters.”
  • County: Submit a “Resolution Ordering Consolidation of Election and Ordering of Such Election.”
  • Schools: Submit the “Resolution Ordering an Election, Specifications of the Election Order, and Requesting Consolidation”, and the “Notice to County Clerk of Measure Submitted to the Voters.”

Measure Text

  • When submitting the documents for a measure, please indicate the measure wording by placing a box around the entire question you wish to appear on the sample ballot.
  • You also have to indicate in writing which portion of the resolution or ordinance you want to be printed in the Voter’s Information Pamphlet.
  • If you don’t want the measure text to appear in the Voter’s Pamphlet, please submit that request in writing. In such case, before the analysis of the measure, the voters will be directed to contact the Election Division for a copy of the proposed measure.
  • The jurisdiction will be billed for the costs.
  • By law the ballot question is limited to 75 words. All measures are followed by the words, “Yes” and “No”.
  • For school bond measures, the words to appear are: “Bonds-Yes,” “Bonds-No.”
  • For a school reorganization measure, the wording is “Reorganization of School District – Yes” and “Reorganization of School District – No”.

Where to Submit

Submit your election measure paperwork to the Nevada County Elections Office.