Donner Pass Road Construction Updates
June 2, 2020 4:32 PM
Donner Pass Road Construction
This project consists of road rehabilitation and shoulder widening on 6.5 miles of Donner Pass Road beginning at the Soda Springs exit and ending at the Truckee town limit east of the summit. Nevada County received California Federal Lands Access Program (FLAP) funding for this project in 2015. The project is being managed by the Central Federal Lands Highway Division (CFLHD). The project will:
- Improve recreational and sightseeing access.
- Enhance parking on the east side of the summit for rock climbing, hiking, and biking.
- Create bike lanes in both directions on the west side and in the uphill direction on the east side.
Latest Update: June 25, 2021 12:05 PM
The Project on 6.5 miles of Donner Pass Road to rehabilitate and widen the shoulder continues to focus on rebuilding the roadway on the west side of the summit from the intersection of the Soda Springs exit on I-80 up to the summit. There will also be intermittent work on the East side of the summit to the Truckee Town limits. Hours of operation will be from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Although there are no anticipated road closures at this time, please expect up to 20-minute delays for lane closures.
Also, Caltrans Paving Work Scheduled in Truckee Early Next Week Ramp and Lane Closures Anticipated on Interstate 80/State Route 89.
Caltrans is alerting motorists to expect travel delays, lane reductions and ramp closures on east- and westbound Interstate 80 (I-80) and State Route 89 (SR-89) in Truckee for paving work.
Caltrans is scheduled to pave ramps and a small segment of I-80 from the chain-installation area near Donner Pass Road to Central Truckee (exit 186) early next week. Motorists are advised to expect delays and seek alternate routes during the following ramp closures:
- Monday, June 28 from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Paving the left (fast lane) of I-80 westbound from the SR-89 south separation to the chain installation area near Donner Pass Road.
- The SR-89 south on-ramp to westbound I-80 will be closed for paving.
- Tuesday, June 29 from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- The SR-89 south on-ramp connecting to eastbound I-80 will be closed for paving.
- The eastbound Central Truckee off-ramp will be closed for paving.
Prior UpdatesView All Updates
September 16, 2020 3:03 PM
The Donner Pass road closure will be extended from Rainbow Bridge to the summit on weekdays from 7:00 AM beginning September 21st through 5:00 PM October 2nd in addition to the existing closure from Rainbow Bridge to the Town of Truckee limits. The road will be open on weekends as usual.