It is very heartening to see the region taking all the positive steps of making our way out of the pandemic that devastated much of the globe in 2020. As numerous stay-at-home orders, quarantines, and similar restrictions were enforced globally in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, you won’t be surprised to hear that garbage produced by households increased and recycling went down with higher contamination. Not to mention the uptick of littering and illegal dumping in the nation.
In Nevada County however, there is good news around the topic of recycling. A good number of our residents and businesses are very conscious about the environment and are making strides in recycling correctly, recovering edible food, composting, creating self-sustaining practices and reducing waste overall.
Here are some ways Waste Management would like to encourage your participation in protecting our environment, not just during earth week April 19th – April 23rd, but all year round:
- Enjoy these wonderful resources to help you find out more about how to Recycle right!
- Nevada County (mynevadacounty.com/1447/Solid-Waste)
- City of Grass Valley (www.cityofgrassvalley.com/post/living-green)
- Town of Truckee (www.keeptruckeegreen.org/)
- Waste Management (www.wm.com/location/california/nevada_county/index.jsp)
- Nevada County Fire Safe Council (www.areyoufiresafe.com/programs)
- Organics Recycling Guide (www.mynevadacounty.com/DocumentCenter/View/38123/Organic-Recycling-Guide)
- Join the conversation at www.facebook.com/groups/wastenotnevadacounty with like- minded people who are learning, sharing and providing tips about recycling, reuse and other local resources on reducing waste.
- Participate in the upcoming “Waste Not - Forum on Recycling” on Wednesday April 21, 2021 at 3:30 pm. There is a great line up of speakers from Nevada County Climate Action Now, Briar Patch, SYRCL, Nevada County Solid Waste and Waste Management. For more details, go to www.ncclimateactionnow.org. Send in your questions ahead of time!