News Flash

District IV News

Posted on: October 14, 2021

Grant Funding for Defensible Space Assistance

County of Nevada Awarded FEMA Funding for Defensible Space Assistance (1)

The County of Nevada has received over $5 million dollars in funding from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to help eligible homeowners pay for fire safe vegetation clearing (also known as “defensible space”) around their properties. Nevada County residents with disabilities, older adults, and property owners who meet specific low-income thresholds will be eligible to receive these funds and can apply online or pick up an application from Fire Safe Council (143 B Spring Hill Dr., Grass Valley, CA 95945).

The funding will be distributed to qualifying residents through the Access and Functional Needs Program and the Nevada County Abatement Program. The two programs will cover 75% of defensible space treatment, with the homeowners covering the remaining 25% of defensible space costs. 

To get started, we request that residents apply so that we may determine eligibility. If an applicant is eligible, an initial property inspection will be scheduled.

The program is just getting started. We will share program progress updates when they are available. You can stay informed about the project by registering for updates here: Defensible Space Assistance - Hazard Mitigation Grant Program - Project Update Interest Form. If you have questions about the program, please reach out to OES@co.nevada.ca.us or 530-265-1515.


Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in District IV News

Seedling growing out of a jar of coins

Community Resiliency Grants

Posted on: November 17, 2021
Supervisor Hoek presents Colonel Fox with a certificate of appreciation

Looking Back at Military Appreciation Week

Posted on: November 17, 2021
Bridgeport Covered Bridge Reopening Ceremony

Bridgeport Covered Bridge Reopening

Posted on: November 17, 2021
Mountain lion crossing backyard at night

Living Amongst Wildlife

Posted on: November 16, 2021

Safe Debris Burning

Posted on: November 16, 2021
River Fire Flaring Up Above Tall Trees, Photo Courtesy of Tim O'Brien

Fire Season Status Update from CAL FIRE

Posted on: October 14, 2021
Invitation to Join the Penn Valley MAC

Land Use and Development in Penn Valley

Posted on: October 14, 2021
Built for Zero

Housing for Veterans

Posted on: October 14, 2021
Military Appreciation Week banner

Military Appreciation Week

Posted on: October 14, 2021
IG_GTG_contact (1)

Cannabis in Nevada County

Posted on: October 14, 2021
Connecting Point 211

211 - Resource and Information Hub

Posted on: July 15, 2021
Wildfire Town Hall

North San Juan Wildfire Town Hall

Posted on: July 15, 2021
Busy Bees

The Buzz of Activity in District 4

Posted on: July 15, 2021
Know Your Zone

Wildfire Prevention

Posted on: July 15, 2021
Dead Trees as a Result of Drought

Drought

Posted on: July 15, 2021
Lone Oak Apartments

Affordable Housing for Seniors

Posted on: June 8, 2021
River Ambassador with Bandana 2021

The Yuba

Posted on: June 8, 2021
Truck Bed Liner Temperature on a Hot Day

Heat

Posted on: June 8, 2021
RSG Handbook Cover

Wildfire

Posted on: June 8, 2021