Now that CAL FIRE has declared an end to fire season and the start of Open Burning, please follow these tips for a safe burn pile:
- Check if it’s okay to burn before lighting your burn pile by calling (530-274-7928) or checking online.
- Landscape debris piles must be no larger than 4 feet by 4 feet.
- Clear all flammable material and vegetation within 10 feet of the outer edge of pile.
- Keep a water supply and shovel close to the burning site.
- A responsible adult must be in attendance until the fire is out.
- Don't burn unless weather conditions (particularly wind) are such that burning can be considered safe.
- Never burn garbage, construction debris, painted wood, plastic, etc. (as doing so would release highly toxic pollutants).
- For best smoke dispersion, burn between 9 AM and 3 PM.